Friday, January 20, 2012

iTunes U App

Apple released the iTunes U app today, an app I have been waiting for since it was announced. I've been a big fan of iTunes U since it was first launched a few years ago. The number of educational institutions participating is just phenomenal, and the opportunities for self-education and discovery leave no excuses for anyone with a computer.

You can listen or even view full semester courses like biology, languages, literature, business, fine art, history -- any subject that you can think of. These come from reputable institutions such as Yale, Harvard, USC, Stanford, to name a few, and even some Canadian and international institutions.

So far, my focus has to be on the few NYU Open Education courses, which are videos with high quality teaching which include Calculus I, Introduction to Sociology, and Statistics (which I'm doing as a refresher to help me in my job).

I've also found a full biblical Hebrew and Greek course from Concordia Seminary that is highly effective for any theologian who feels their languages are rusty and need a refresher. Brand new learners may probably need to go slower and get the textbook to keep up.

But there is a lot more than university courses available in iTunes U. There are numerous current issues lectures and presentations, along with inspirational commencement speeches by notable speakers and celebrities. If you have not checked out the Steve Jobs commencement speech in 2005 at Stanford University, well, you're just letting the best pass you by.

I'm a huge fan of iTunes U. I used to waste hours of time educating myself on the tens of thousands of hours of information. I took a break for a while (personal life issues), but the release of this app may pull me back in.

What is your favorite course in iTunes U? Share it! I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment