Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mom's Power Breakfast

My ultra-healthy Mom swears by this power breakfast with oatmeal as its foundation.



The trick is to have all the ingredients ready in bulk so you can just throw it together in the morning. The following is one serving.

FOUNDATION:
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
pinch of raw sea salt (or regular salt ok too)

Bring to a boil. Then immediately lower heat to a slow simmer and set your timer to 20-25 minutes. You might want to just check the consistency the first time with what works with your stove.

When it's thoroughly cooked, it will initially look like there's still liquid on the top. Just stir it and it will look like typical oatmeal. It will continue to cook and thicken even after you remove it from the heat.

Put in a bowl and top it with the following:
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
2-3 table spoons of maple syrup
2/3 cup of frozen blueberries
1/2 cup skim milk
1 fistful of nuts. Mine has (all unsalted):

  • roasted pumpkin seeds
  • roasted almond slices
  • roasted cashews
  • dried figs
  • raw walnuts

I've modified mom's power oatmeal and used steel cut oats instead of rolled oats (she uses a combination of both), organic maple syrup instead of brown sugar, and added the dried figs for some extra fruit. Oh, and I cook it in an earthenware bowl straight on the stove. My new favorite thing.

I love to grocery shop in the bulk food section. I browse and look at what kind of nuts I want in my morning breakfast. I stay away from high calorie nuts like pistachios, but a very small amount once in a while doesn't hurt anyone, right? *giggle*

Did you try this recipe? Send me a photo of your version of this power breakfast with your modifications and I'll post the best ones here!

No comments:

Post a Comment